On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 07:45:28AM -0800, patrick wrote:

> I know this is a bit crazy, but is there any opinion as to whether a
> binary upgrade using an 8.1 CD would work to upgrade a system running
> 4.10? Normally I would want to do a fresh install, but it's at a
> remote client site where it's not going to be easy to do it that way,
> and I'm going to need to guide someone less experienced through the
> install/upgrade process.

It might work.  But, I think you would save a lot of headache and time
to just do a new scratch install of 8.xx (8.2 should be here soon).

First, make a thorough list of everything that is installed on the
old machine.    List info from disk slice[s] and partitions and other
configuration items.  Then make copies (backups) of all user data
and anything that needs to be kept from the old system and is not
being newly installed from ports and such.

Now would be a good/great time to replace/upgrade the hard disk or
install a second (third..., etc) disk.

Rethink the partitioning according to current usage and disk sizes.

Then just build a new machine, configure it appropriately, install
the ports and any other possible software - latest versions.  Then
restore all the user data that is needed on the new system and you
should be ready to go.  (Some old data may better be left in archive)

////jerry