On Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003, at 23:29 US/Pacific, Matthew Seaman wrote:

Two things occur to me:

    i) Did root use vipw(8) to edit the passwd database, or otherwise
       run:

# cap_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

       when the UID was changed?  It's the value in the hashed
       database cap_mkdb(1) builds that is used by the system.
       Updating that should have instantaneous effect.

Just used the pw command. However, note that this symptom persisted for over 24 hours. Last time it happened (on a 4.7 system) it persisted for several days if I recall, before I noticed/corrected it.

   ii) You haven't said anything about what the source of your
       password data is, which probably means you're just using the
       flat file password database and not anything like NIS or LDAP.

Correct.

       If you are using a distributed database, then a degree of
       latency while changes get propagated around the servers is to
       be expected.  However, that shouldn't take any more than a few
       minutes in a well configured system.

Right, and this is a standalone system (which is why I'm manually syncing up the uids in the first place).

The problem is not with the ls(1) command per se. It's the underlying
system library functions such as getpwuid(3) which do the translation
between numeric UIDs and usernames that are the seat of the problem.
You can see that by running some other command that uses getpwuid(3), eg:

% perl -e 'print scalar getpwuid(503), "\n";'

Got it. I think what I'll do is create a dummy user with the same conditions and let it persist for awhile so we can experiment with it.

KeS