On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 13:03 -0800, Chip Camden wrote:
> Quoth Chuck Swiger on Thursday, 13 January 2011:
> > On Jan 13, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Chip Camden wrote:
> > > On my system, /etc/termcap has the date well after my installation
> > > (Jun 28 2010) and /etc/rmt dates to well before (Nov 21 2009).  I first
> > > installed FreeBSD on this system on Apr 1 2010.
> >
> > Certainly the target of the link would change; my /etc/termcap points to:
> >
> > -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  206901 Dec 14 21:03 /usr/share/misc/termcap
> >
> > This particular box I'm looking at had been updated from FreeBSD-4.x
> > through 7-STABLE, so a 2001 timestamp for the original installs seems about
> > right.
> >
> > I wonder, are you folks using something other than UFS for /
> > filesystem...perhaps ZFS or whatever handles the dates on symlinks
> > differently?
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > -Chuck
>
> I'm all UFS.  My first installation was 8.0-RELEASE.  At that time, I
> don't think termcap was even a symlink, but I could be mistaken.
>
> I'm looking at the date on the symlink itself, not its target.

This is nearly always accurate on any FreeBSD system (when wanting to
query the date the machine was built):

        ls -l /etc/defaults/rc.conf

But again... not always. Though for all situations where the answer is
_NOT_ the correct answer... there's usually a damned-good explanation
why (the machine was rsync'd etc.), in which case I still consider the
date returned to be accurate (for any time /etc/defaults/rc.conf -- or
perhaps even better... /etc/rc -- is touched, I'd consider the system to
be "rebuilt" since those files should be somewhat "golden" on a system
-- read: never touched except during system upgrade or rsync etc.).
--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> CONTACT INFORMATION <-
Business Solutions Consultant II
FIS - fisglobal.com
510-735-5650 Mobile
510-621-2038 Office
510-621-2020 Office Fax
909-477-4578 Home/Fax
devin.te...@fisglobal.com

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> END TRANSMISSION <-