On 01/24/11 06:38, Chip Camden wrote:
Quoth Chad Perrin on Sunday, 23 January 2011:
On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 06:18:37AM -0500, Jerry wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:31:40 +1000
Da Rock<freebsd-questi...@herveybayaustralia.com.au>  articulated:

Actually the consensus on this list _is_ to hit reply all- some only
get digest or are not even subscribed, so they won't receive posts
only posted to the list. Unfortunately that can mean you can continue
receiving replies not necessarily directly to your own posts.
consensus

Meaning:
: a general agreement about something : an idea or opinion that is
shared by all the people in a group [singular]

OK, when was the vote on this issue taken? I must have been out of
town that week.
You and me both.  I loathe getting multiples of emails.  I'm on the list,
so I already get a copy.  I have no problem doing a group reply by
request when someone's not on the list or only gets digest mails, though,
or getting duplicates as a side-effect of that -- again, *by request*.

Just spamming people with duplicates all the time for no good reason is a
mite annoying, though.  If I was aware of a vote, I would have voted
"list reply".

+1

Now I'm feeling very alone... :) Mind you I was on your side when it was decided- where are all the old listers? It was a few years ago now. I thought one of the original deciders would have chimed in by now, but it appears quite a few have now moved on- I'm not even getting as many posts these days. In times past it was hard to keep up with it all, a fulltime job to read them all- let alone reply!

Well arguments were:

reply-list
    replies are posted back anyway
    duplicates taking up space etc

reply-all
    posters don't have to subscribe so they won't receive list posts
    digesters won't keep up with replies
-questions@ is meant to be first port of call, user friendly, easy access for help

I'm happy to list post. I was talked around last time the vote was taken :) I suppose it depends more on the configuration of the list itself...