On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:37:58 +1000, Da Rock
<freebsd-questi...@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> You'll have to excuse my ignorance (and my curious mind...), but I
> can't seem to find a straight answer to this. I know linux uses gmake,
> and gmake is installed via ports on FreeBSD, but does that mean gmake
> will only create linux binaries using the abi compatibility?

gmake itself does not produce anything in the form of binary files.  It
merely 'drives' other tools to create them.  So if a makefile calls
'gcc' to compile something and there is a native 'gcc' version in your
local system, a properly written makefile should still work.