On 1/27/11 11:48 AM, Fred wrote:
Hello,

I need to buy an expensive logic device programmer that connects to a PC through USB. Unfortunately, the user software that make it go only runs on Bill Gates' cancerous, virus-infested, scourge of the Earth excuse for an OS which I do not use. Is it likely to work ok using wine? What type of programs do not work well with wine? There is a supported, commercial version of wine that runs on Linux. Would I be better off buying that and running it on the FBSD Linux emulation?

Best regards,
Fred

Chaining emulators just sounds like a bad idea; I would guess that your risk of complications increases exponentially when doing this, and I would bet anything that your performance decreases exponentially as well. Also, I doubt the company that sells the commercial version of wine would support their software when running on untested platforms (e.g., FBSD w/ Linux Emulation). Further, that company probably has a list of supported software and won't vouch for their product's ability to run anything outside of that list.

If you absolutely must run it under a *nix, I would go with Linux for this project.

If you'd set dogma aside, though, you would probably see that Windows is your best bet for this project. A close second (if you had all the time in the world) would be writing drivers yourself for your desired platform.