On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 04:09:21AM -0500, Paul Lathrop wrote:
> Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but Google has left me
> emptyhanded...
>
> I am running a webserver with several name-based virtual hosts. I would
> like to log, but not limit, the outgoing bandwidth used by each virtual
> host. Can someone point me to a tool that could help me? I can find
> many methods of bandwidth throttling - but nothing on logging, so I am
> convinced I'm missing something obvious :-)
>
> Anyway, thanks ahead of time.

Hmmm... I don't know of any way of generating a number saying that at
time X virtual host www.foo.com was transmitting Y bits/s directly
from apache.

However, you can simply put TransferLog, ErrorLog and/or CustomLog
directives into each of your <VirtualHost></VirtualHost> sections in
your httpd.conf to generate virtual host specific log files.  Or you
can define a LogFormat that includes the %v directive (see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_config.html), to include the
ServerName into the log data.

Then just use a standard WWW server logfile analysis tool like analog
(http://www.analog.cx/, ports: www/analog) to generate graphs of
traffic vs. time.

        Cheers,

        Matthew