On 13 February 2011 16:51, Rem Roberti <remeg...@comcast.net> wrote:
> This is a new one for me.  I decided to do a manual update on my 8.1 box,
> starting with csup.  Buildworld went fine, as did buildkernel.  However,
> when I tried to install the new kernel installkernel choked with an error
> message telling me that it could not proceed because the root partition was
> full.  What!  I did a df and sure enough the root partition was overloaded.
>  When I installed the system I used sysinstalls recommended sizes for the
> root partion, which is around 10G.  Anyway, when I rebooted, the system
> rebooted into single user mode, and that is presently where I stand.  I have
> no idea how to proceed at this point, and would appreciate any help in
> fixing this.  Of course, I smell a newbie type error in all of this, but
> haven't quite figured out where I went wrong.

To fix your booting, I suggest that you check that /boot/kernel.old exists:

# [ -d /boot/kernel ] && echo Yes!

If this doesn't say Yes! then stop, and wait for someone to help you
out a little more.

If it does:

# /bin/mv /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.faulty
# /bin/mv /boot/kernel.old /boot/kernel
# reboot

That should get you back up until you can fix your other problems!

Chris