On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Xn Nooby wrote:

On Linux I use clonezilla, which understands the EXT3 filesystem, and
it can skip unused space (I'm using about 3GB out of 1TB).

On FreeBSD, I have to fill the 1TB drive with zero-filled files, then
delete them, on each partiton, since CloneZilla uses DD+gzip on the
entire drive.

Some of the development versions of Clonezilla do understand UFS. It's been a few months since I looked at this, and I need to go back and figure out exactly which.

Is there an image-copy backup program that understands the UFS
file-system? Or perhaps there is a better solution on FreeBSD?

Others have already mentioned good points of dump and restore. They can be used even on mounted partitions, so the system can stay up while a backup is running. Some scripting could make restores as easy as Clonezilla. A bare-metal restore could be made from a modified FreeBSD install CD. Partition the target disk (interactively or not), locate the dump files, restore them, then do any interactive fixup needed.