On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM, David Demelier
<demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My bios can be set to use IDE emulation or ahci mode, I prefere the ahci
> mode because it's a bit faster.
>
> It's probably stupid to stay with ata(4) driver with the ahci mode, isn't
> it? But with ahci(4) driver you can't burn with burncd(8) and cdrecord just
> fail and break an blank cd for nothing.
>
> I guess this is the correct behavior when trying to use burncd(8) /
> cdcontrol(1) :
>
> markand at Melon ~ $ burncd msinfo
> burncd: ioctl(CDIOREADTOCHEADER): Input/output error
>
> markand at Melon ~ $ cdcontrol info
> cdcontrol: getting toc header: Input/output error
> cdcontrol: Input/output error
>
> But why the optical drive is only affected? If I use ata(4) driver even with
> ahci mode set in the bios, why the hard drive works pretty well?

You may still be using AHCI, via the ataahci part of ata(4), which is
not as good as the newer driver ahci(4). (Or your BIOS may be lying,
or have some legacy work-around.)

I've had occasional trouble with cdrecord and cd(4), too, and I found
that some of the errors are innocuous, and can be overcome by using
the -immed and -force flags with cdrecord.  There are also some
patches available to improve compatibility between the two, that the
submitter has not had time to commit:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-November/020944.html

Those may solve some problems.  Also, there are various settings that
one can tweak.  But we would know more if you provided verbose
listings of the errors that you encounter.  The upstream developer of
cdrtools is occasionally willing to help diagnose some problems, if
you ask politely and give him the necessary information.  You might
try asking him.

b.