On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 08:32:59 -0600, Ivan Voras <ivo...@freebsd.org> wrote:

Um, why exactly are so many people against HAL?

HAL is deprecated now. All projects using HAL are in the process or have already migrated away from it. KDE has pluggable backends, so that's not a big deal, but XFCE doesn't support anything but udisks/udev/upower. The BSD community will have to supply their own patchset to achieve the same functionality. GNOME should be heading in the same direction if it hasn't already.

Unfortunately, we're going to be without a cross-platform solution. Hopefully other projects will follow KDE and allow us to easily supply our own backend to powerd and devd.

Regards,

Mark