On 03/24/11 21:52, Polytropon wrote:
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:28:05 +0100, Alokat<mail...@alokat.org>  wrote:
Hi,

how can I use the FN Buttons to regular the sound?
I'm using fluxbox.
Use the "xev" program to check which keysymbols (or at
least codes) are output by those keys. For example, on
my Sun keyboard I have those for audio:

        141
        142
        143

Then write a file ~/.xmodmaprc to assign names to those
keys, for example:

        ! Sound off
        keycode 141 = F24
        ! Lower volume
        keycode 142 = F25
        ! Raise volume
        keycode 143 = F26

You can also use

        SunAudioMute
        SunAudioLowerVolume
        SunAudioRaiseVolume

or

        XF86AudioMute
        XF86AudioLowerVolume
        XF86AudioRaiseVolume

I decided to continue the enumeration as function keys for
all the extra keys on my keyboard. :-)

Incorporate the settings upon X startup, using ~/.xinitrc
or maybe ~/.xsession:

        xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

Then use the keyboard action configuration of Fluxbox. As I
don't use it anymore, I can't tell you where it is, but there
should be a configuration file which selects which action to
be taken when a specific key is pressed.

I'm using WindowMaker's configuration utility for that. I did
add menu entries and set a custom key for them. For example,
I made the following settings:

        F24 ->  mixer 0
        F25 ->  mixer vol -5
        F26 ->  mixer vol +5

You should be able to find a similar approach in FLuxbox.

I'm sure you got the idea: You identify what the keys DO and
then connect them to a keyname. This keyname is then connected
to a specific program call, "mixer" with the intended parameters
in case of volume control.

I get an output like this:

FocusOut event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
           0   0   0   0   0   0   1   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

FocusOut event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0