On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Chip Camden
<sterl...@camdensoftware.com> wrote:
> Quoth Polytropon on Wednesday, 30 March 2011:
>>
>> T: (a deep sigh while rolling his eyes) No, that's not the fuel,
>>    that's the tachometer. It is supposed to point at zero if the
>>    car is not started. The fuel indicator is usually to the left
>>    and smaller that the tachometer, and it should have E written
>>    upon it, then a semicircle, then F.
>>

> And on a VW, it doesn't say "E" and "F" -- it says "0/1" and "1/1".

On a lot of the older VWs (and Mercedes cars, as well) it says R and
1/1.  The "R" supposedly stood for "reserve."

I had a Saab for a while that went from 0 to 1, and the middle of the
0 lit up when fuel was low.

User interface inconsistencies between cars are actually quite
rampant, as anyone who's ever sat down in a rental car and tried to
figure out how to turn on the windshield wipers can attest. ;)