On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:46:48 +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin <ja...@gnix.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have just installed FreeBSD 8.2 RELEASE amd64 onto my new
> Lenovo ThinkCentre and i'm dual-booting FreeBSD with Windows
> & which was preinstalled.
>
> When the system boots i see the message shown below in dmesg
> which relates to the partitions on the FreeBSD slice. So far
> i have not experienced any problems with using the system and
> it does boot into the OS ok. but i don't know if there's a
> problem here that i need to fix or if it's a warning i can
> ignore because i don't know what it means. i am hoping someone
> can help me and explain what it is.

The message indicates that there is a discrepancy between
reported values (BIOS vs. disk) about the disk geometry.

> Here is the text:
>
> GEOM: ad8: partition 4 does not start on a track boundary.
> GEOM: ad8: partition 4 does not end on a track boundary.
> GEOM: ad8: partition 3 does not start on a track boundary.
> GEOM: ad8: partition 3 does not end on a track boundary.
> GEOM: ad8: partition 2 does not start on a track boundary.
> GEOM: ad8: partition 2 does not end on a track boundary.
> GEOM: ad8: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary.
> GEOM: ad8: partition 1 does not end on a track boundary.

Using some google, there are the following things you could
read:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-March/004830.html

http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/testing-out-freebsd-8-0-rc1/

There are explainations and solutions. I hope it will help.
But as I said, I'm quite sure you can ignore the messages
as they do not affect the system.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany