On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Carmel <carmel...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What do you gain by flashing it? I did not see anything specific
> mentioned. This would also undoubtedly void any guarantee on the unit
> I presume.

Technically yes.  However, I have had a failed dd-wrt replaced under
warranty.  Other people I know have had the same experience and I've never
heard a first hand account of a vendor not honoring the warranty due to
custom firmware(I'd guess they don't even check on a lot of them since they
are more disposable than ink jets now days).  I don't know what would happen
in your case so please don't interpret this as my personal warranty on your
equipment.

And yes in general dd-wrt is far superior in functionality to stock
firmware(the stock Linksys/Cisco interface and functionality does leave
something to be desired) although I suspect stock is sufficient for most
uses.  I also highly recommend running routers on a decent UPS.  Flaky power
can cause frequent lock-ups and/or premature death.

I'm not aware of any N standard wireless routers that aren't backward
compatible with previous standards and I frequent connect my FreeBSD powered
G standard laptop to several different N class routers with no issue, albeit
at slower speed.

--
Adam Vande More