On Apr 8, 2011, at 12:22 PM, Sascha Vieweg wrote:

> As a curious beginner I am running FreeBSD on VMWare Fusion 3.1.2 on a
> MacBook Pro 13'' i5, and I want to do two things on the normal (startup)
> console:
>
> (1) use my apple keyboard, especially, scroll through console output

The Apple Keyboard should just work. The FreeBSD console has a special mode
where you can scroll back and forth in console output after hitting Scroll
Lock. I'm just not sure what key on the Apple Keyboard VMware maps to Scroll
Lock.

> (2) have a screen resolution of at least 800x600.

To start, the X log file: /var/log/Xorg.0.log file is a good source of
information about what X is doing if you are trying to tune things.

Getting a good screen resolution should just be a matter of setting the refresh
rates to match your monitor. You may be able to put any values you like in
there since your screen and video adapter are virtual. All of this gets
configured in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I believe it's considered gauche to hand
configure this anymore but since many modern displays, the Apple laptops
included, don't conform to the VESA standard modes it's helpful to be able to
tune things by hand. The problem is compounded by the fact that again, in
VMware you probably aren't talking to the real hardware. Any modern hardware
should just tell the X server what it's Sync and Refresh rates are.

One final tip: Check the amount of VideoRam that VMware assigned to the virtual
machine. I noticed that it was a little skint at 2Mb or something and I bumped
it up to something larger than 8Mbso I could have a  1920x1080x24bpp display.

Here's my xorg.conf file which I started on an Acrylic MacBook running
Parallels and them moved to and retuned for a unibody 15" MacBook Pro. I'm
following up my first post since I revisited this file this afternoon to fix a
couple of issues that I had worked around. My box is FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE built
from sources on 4/6/2011. I'm running xorg-7.5.1 from ports

--------------------

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dri2"
        Load  "vmmouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "vmmouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier      "Apple MacBook Pro A1286 Display"
    VendorName      "Apple"
    HorizSync       27.0-86.0  ## These shouldn't matter
    VertRefresh     50.0-72.0  ##

    ## 15" MacBook Pro
    Modeline "1440x900" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932 -HSync +Vsync

    ## 13" MacBook and possibly 13" MacBook Pro
    Modeline "1280x800" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "VMware Legacy Emulated SVGA II Adapter"
        Driver      "vmwlegacy"
        VendorName  "VMware"
        BoardName   "Legacy Emulated SVGA II Adapter"
        BusID       "PCI:0:15:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "VMware Legacy Emulated SVGA II Adapter"
        Monitor    "Apple MacBook Pro A1286 Display"

        ## Purge the display modes that I don't need from here.

        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport        0 0
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1440x900" ## 15" MacBook Pro
                Modes           "1280x800" ## 13" MacBook/MacBook Pro
        EndSubSection
EndSection

-- Chris

--

     __o                                                 Chris Hilton
   _`\<,_                            e: chris /at/ vindaloo /dot/ com