I'm trying to create an offsite "hot backup" of a FreeBSD server. If the primary server fails, I want to transport the spare machine to the existing site and bring it up as a replacement, with little or no reconfiguration necessary.

Nightly mirroring would be adequate in this situation. The system is not running live transaction processing or anything comparable.

Is there a straightforward, automated way to mirror a whole FreeBSD system, using open source software?

I'm testing ftpcopy to remotely mirror the files and directories. Ftpcopy performs an incremental comparison using dates and file sizes, which should minimize the nightly backup time and traffic load. So far that part seems to be working well.

But I haven't figured out how to get the users, groups and permissions mirrored. There are about 200 users. And there may be other gotchas I haven't thought of yet.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Ralph