On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:58:28 +0000, Gautham Ganapathy wrote:
Hi

I am trying out FreeBSD on ZFS using the PC-BSD 8.2 installer. I have
it installed on a Western Digital USB HDD connected to an Alienware
m11x laptop. It seems to work well except that once in a while, any
application performing a write freezes for a few seconds (around 15 or
so) and looking at top shows their states to be in zio. Is this
because it was installed on a USB drive?

I've experienced the same behavior on my external USB WD drive.  I
found that many of the Western Digital external drives will spin-down
after some period of time.  The wait you're experiencing is probably
the time it takes to spin-up.  WD has a utility to disable the
spin-down feature.  It's windows only, however.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=304&sid=17&lang=en

- Craig