On 23 April 2011, at 03:04, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 23 April 2011 16:30:39 Doug Hardie wrote:
>>
>> On 23 April 2011, at 02:20, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>>
>>> I only can tell what I do when a machine does not boot from the
>>> installation media: I plug the disk into another machine, install the
>>> generic kernel, edit /etc and put it back.
>>>
>>> If this does not work, it will be hard.
>>
>> That works, but then I end up without having RAID activated.  I am trying to
>> get the hardware RAID working.
>>
> but your system runs then. Isn't it possible then to build a custom kernel
> which supports the specific RAID hardware on this machine and install the new
> kernel there.
>
> Oh, could it be that the loader is not able to start from the RAID hardware?
> Is it possible that even a custom kernel will need an extra boot medium to
> start with?

Thats what I was hoping to be able to do.  However, I can't get it to boot
without the RAID either.  I have tried numerous tests of formatting the drives
on the RAID, then moving them to another system and installing the software.
They still won't boot.  The RAID appears to be using a very unusual bootstrap.
I get the message "OS not found"  continuously on the screen regardless of how
I build the system.  Somehow I am going to need to be able to boot from CD or
memstick to get this working.