On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Chris Telting
<christopher...@telting.org>wrote:

> So so on to my question.  I'm sure others have thought about this.  I kind
> of want /etc to be it's own zfs partition so that I can snapshot it separate
> from everything else and preserve it without much effort.  But I don't think
> I can do that because of booting.  The system depends on /etc before it
> mounts it's first file system.

As you are aware ZFS works differently, and I think you are incorrect in
your assumption that separating /etc onto it's own ZFS file system will
break the boot process. The vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zoot" sysctl controls
which pool to boot from, and once the pool is imported all automounted FS's
are immediately available I'd guess.  If so, your desired scenario is
achievable without hackery.  However this is an assumption on my part.

Testing this out is like a 1/2 hr exercise if you have Virtualbox
installed.  Use the PCBSD cd or MFSBSD to quickly install a bootable ZFS VM.

--
Adam Vande More