> something to keep in mind .... portmaster does the same thing and all of
> portupgrades switches work with portmaster, the only significant difference
> is that portmaster will run through and prompt you for all of the 'make
> config' options first and then go about it's business unattended from that
> point on... it will test for a valid set of config options in all of it's
> deps before it builds anything, so for something large like gnome, you might
> sit there for a while answering config screens, but once it's done, it will
> require no more interaction unless a make dies for some reason...
>
> --
>> A: Yes.
>> >Q: Are you sure?

Now, another question.  I was thinking about this.  Should I have
popped in a dvd and just used it to upgrade?

Should I have run
# make buildworld
or some magical command(s) that will build the system against newer
binaries and newer ports so that the system works better and
optimized?

I have limited experience using FreeBSD :(, have used it on and off
since release 5.3 with KDE 3.4/3.5 series.  I installed it and had
dialup at home tried to get the ltmodem port working, but did not
succeed :(, and I left it as pristine as it was.  I also got a
BSDLiveCD : by Scott Ullrich:

http://livebsd.com/
\begin{quote}
Inception
LiveBSD was founded by Scott Ullrich and Chris Buechler in January
2004. It started its life as an open source project, modifying
FreeSBIE scripts to build FreeBSD-based live CD's. A name was decided
on, and the domain registered on February 28, 2004.  The first LiveBSD
Desktop CD was released at that time, a KDE desktop live CD based on
FreeBSD 5.2, built using modified FreeSBIE scripts.
\end{quote}

I really liked it and used it at school.  However the project died/was
unsupported, it appears FreeSBIE has not had much love either.

So far it has not prompted me for any configurations.  Had done that
for two/three days with the previous command:

# portupgrade -af

Then
# freebsd-update install

but the ports/packages were still for old 8.1 release :(, now I have
updated ports tree with
# portsnap fetch
# portsnap extract
and
# portsnap install

and running :

# portupgrade -arRp

I hope that it would finish soon.  I don't know enough like I would
like to.  Sadly :( except for installing some ports [cd
/usr/ports/editor/some-package/, make install clean] and the package
would build after configuring some stuff :), but now the stuff was
overwhelming :( and I would have preferred to learn a quick and not
too painful way of updating :)  But this is part of learning and I
will take it in stride.

It is building new documentation packages handbook for several
languages some new packages and it is moving nicely :)

Regards,

Antonio