On Mon, 16 May 2011, Polytropon wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:28:18 -0700, Alexander Lardner <linuxtu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Hello,
I am re-asking as it's rather urgent.
I have burned a CD of PowerPC 8.2 to install on my old iMac G3.
It boots, but it stops at the line that reads:

acd0: DVDROM <MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8184/AA32> at ata0-slave UDMA33

What the heck does that mean, and why does it get stuck?

This line is the kernel message identifying the optical
drive of your iMac, which is connected to the 1st ATA
controller as slave drive (and I assume the master drive
will be the hard disk, watch for "ad0" message).

More importantly, how do I fix it?

I'm not sure, I sadly don't own iHardware. Maybe check
cables of optical drive?

It could be the next step that is a problem, whatever comes after the CD device detection on a G3. On i386, that includes launching other processors and USB device detection.