At 11:27 p.m. 26/05/2011, Jon Radel wrote:

On 5/27/11 12:16 AM, Jorge Biquez wrote:

Hello.

I am trying to find if sendmail was the problem or what... thing is not
that root receive email but that root was used to send email to a list
of address...

And what does it say in the logs? We'll help you interpret them if you wish, but right now I've heard nothing but speculation and I've heard nothing to distinguish between:

1)  Somebody sent e-mail with root@.... as the return address, or

2)  Somebody generated e-mail with a process running as root, or

3)  both.

Your sendmail log should tell you where sendmail thinks the e-mail came from and where it thinks it sent it.

Or you could start by telling us HOW you detected this problem.

--Jon Radel
j...@radel.com

Hello

1)  Somebody sent e-mail with root@.... as the return address, or
- They send it from the machine, a big queue has to be deleted before processing.

2)  Somebody generated e-mail with a process running as root, or

Yes, I guess that happened, the emailes where in the queue waiting to be sent... thing is the server has only 4 account for email users... all strong passwords.... using the last -10 command showed only the last 10 times I logged in. No new users were created apparently.

I changed passwords and restricted that only my user can have ssh login and my user can the su to root.
root can not login using ssh... I tested again at this moment....

Jorge Biquez