During an unattended, non-interactive build of many ports this evening I ran into what I think indicates that the FTP server at freebsd.isc.org is broken. Here is what I believe to be evidence, performed from a FreeBSD 8.2 server at one site:

site1# fetch -vvp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/GD-Arrow-0.01.tar.gz
  scheme:   [ftp]
  user:     []
  password: []
  host:     [ftp.freebsd.org]
  port:     [0]
  document: [/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/GD-Arrow-0.01.tar.gz]
  ---> ftp.freebsd.org:21
  looking up ftp.freebsd.org
  connecting to ftp.freebsd.org:21
  <<< 220 Welcome to freebsd.isc.org.
  >>> USER anonymous
  <<< 331 Please specify the password.
  >>> PASS ag...@rose.agile.lan
  <<< 500 OOPS: cannot change directory:/home/ftp
fetch: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/GD-Arrow-0.01.tar.gz: Syntax error, command unrecognized
  # echo $FTP_PASSIVE_MODE
  YES
  site1# ftp freebsd.isc.org
  Trying 204.152.184.73...
  Connected to freebsd.isc.org.
  220 Welcome to freebsd.isc.org.
  Name (freebsd.isc.org:agile): anonymous
  331 Please specify the password.
  Password:
  500 OOPS: cannot change directory:/home/ftp
  ftp: Login failed.
  ftp> bye
  500 OOPS: priv_sock_get_cmd

There's no reason that I know of for anything on my end to be referencing /home/ftp. I get this on a Windoze system from a second site (different LAN, different WAN address, same city, same ISP):

  C:\>ftp freebsd.isc.org
  Connected to freebsd.isc.org.
  220 Welcome to freebsd.isc.org.
  User (freebsd.isc.org:(none)): anonymous
  331 Please specify the password.
  Password:
  500 OOPS: cannot change directory:/home/ftp
  500 OOPS: priv_sock_get_cmd
  Connection closed by remote host.

And I found this blog entry dated today in which the author is seeing the same problem:

http://salihsblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/freebsd-pkgadd-error-syntax-error.html
  (http://tinyurl.com/42g7dv5)

When problems like this arise, shouldn't the FreeBSD port building mechanisms take advantage of the redundant FreeBSD mirrors to roll over to another working server? I use portmaster for port building and it terminates with this sort of output when this scenario arises:

=> Attempting to fetch ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/gd-2.0.35.tar.bz2 fetch: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/gd-2.0.35.tar.bz2: Syntax error, command unrecognized
  => Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
  => port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles// and try again.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/gd.

What is the recommended way to enable portmaster to be more resilient against such failures?

Carl                                 / K0802647