Hi All.

Total frustration here.  Before I incinerate the luckless box and get my
coat.

For whatever reason, I can't get my head round how "Exactly" to create
and use a jail, for a small webserver (Hiawatha) on FreeBSD V8.x

There is at the same time, not enough detailed info as to "how to", and
way too much detail of what there is.   The Man pages are good
references, but lousy "how to's"...   (Sorry.)

I have (aledgedly) downloaded the Sys sources, and Ports.   At least it
sat there for ages after fumbling arround the sysinstall menu system
(whoever designed that should be forced to use it!  It's behaviour is
apalling, flitting from one context to another with no warning, in a way
such that you can't see what you've selected, without affecting the
selection, or something else..)

Anyway, trying to follow various instructions I found, and those pointed
out to me by other helpful souls here (thanks Kaya and Peter.)  But
Whatever I do, I get a "Don't know how to build world. Stop" error.

I am logged in as root, and AFIK have downloaded all the sys and ports
sources..   How do I confirm that, are there trace logs kept somewhere?

Now, I can create EMC test software in high level languages
(Pascal/Delphi on Windows.)   Assemble install commission and repair when
needed, multi kW RF amplifiers, and related support systems.  Diagnose
faults on the same, modify control software (at the source level) to work
arround some "undesirable features" etc etc.

I've also been building computers (and other tech stuff) for decades from
components, and programming them to do what I need etc and so forth, but
all in either native asembler code, or a higher level language on Dos or
Windows.

I even found and followed these instructions, and got a GPS Diciplined
NTP server running on the FreeBSD box.  (After my ISP comprehensivly
wrecked their NTP server access.)  So a HF Radio propagation monitor can
keep time to sub ms accuracy.

That was a first time success too, even re-compiling the kernel to enable
PPS support!
http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145
So, I can follow instructions..  :-)

I have even got the Meinberg port of NTP to work on an aged Win2k box,
albeit with some help from others.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out this BSD Jail stuff, as there
is something missing from my understanding of it all.  (Most of it I
suspect...)

None of the searches so far have thrown up a definative "This is how you
do it" type of procedure, with step by step "do this, if this happens,
then do that, else go do this..."  type of structure.   And more
importantly *Why* it needs to be done in such a way.  Kaya's wiki is
close, but I must have a different varient of V8.x

Is there anyone out there with Skype (for example) who could perhaps talk
me through this it in real time I wonder.  By arangment of some mutually
conveninent time and date (evening or weekend.)  I'm, in the UK near
Milton Keynes, so that limits things somewhat I suspect.

I realy do want to learn how to do all this, but I'm having a real hard
time, due to the lack of contiguious time available to me, and with the
available documentation, that I accept is correct, but it is all written
as a reference document, not an instruction/user manual, only compounded
by coming in cold from another background (Hardware/Dos(Assembler &
Basic)/Windows(Delphi/Pascal)

What I have learnt so far, is that (for the most part) all the BSD's
behave and work much the same.  Unlike the hoards of different Linux's,
all with their different ways of doing things.

Spleen vented, anyone want a challenge?  I promise not to shout at you...

Cheers All..

Dave B.