On 6/9/11 4:55 PM, Mario Lobo wrote:
On Thursday 09 June 2011 10:49:37 Rob wrote:
On 6/6/11 8:39 PM, Mario Lobo wrote:
On Monday 06 June 2011 17:56:53 Rob wrote:
I was attempting to install virtualbox on my 8.2-p2 64-bit system this
weekend, and hit a rather curious situation.  The pre-packaged version
of virtualbox retrievable by pkg_add is 3.2.12 (which looks in
ports/amd64/packages-8.2-release).  Poking around on the ftp server, I
see that packages-8.1-release also has a 3.x version, but
packages-8-stable has the latest 4.0.8.

I went to look in ports, which contains 4.0.8, and build it myself but I
got an error saying I need to have the 32-bit libraries installed in
order to build virtualbox.

So, my question is 2-fold:
1) What is the reason the 64-bit pre-packaged version of virtualbox is
still at the 3.x version?  Would there be a problem with installing the
packages (virtualbox and kernel module) from packages-8-stable?

2) How do I build virtualbox 4.0.8 on a 64-bit system w/o the 32-bit
libs.  Is that possible?  Searching around has produced old e-mail
threads indicating this was a problem as of 2 or so years ago with the
3.x release.  If it's not possible to build w/o the 32-bit libs, what do
I need to install?

Rob

You need to rebuild your kernel with

options         COMPAT_FREEBSD32        # Compatible with i386 binaries

included.

And as per the port's error message:

cd /usr/src; make build32 install32; /etc/rc.d/ldconfig restart

I noticed that when I tried to build the ports, but I don't have
anything in /usr/src and no information was given as to what
packages/src I needed to install.  I'd like to avoid diverging from the
stock release kernel for upgrade simplicity.  What exactly does that do?
   Will it introduce upgrade complexity (ie will I have to upgrade these
libs before I upgrade the kernel or some such)?

Rob

To remain with the same kernel you installed, you must install the source tree
from the same CD/DVD you used for installation.

You will have to run sysinstal and go to

Configure      Do post-install configuration of FreeBSD

then

Distributions               Install additional distribution sets

then mark

[ ]  src       Sources for everything

Choose the CDROM as installation media. After that you'll have all the sources
on your HD and can proceed to the compilation of the 32 libs.

If the sources are from the same CD you installed the system, they will be in
sync with your kernel. No upgrade issues.

What is that command doing though? It's building what from src? What is the output of build32? I assume it's not a kernel.

Also, do you know the difference between pre-built packages on the freebsd ftp server in packages-8.2-release vs packages-8-stable?

Rob