The system in question has its primary NIC on one particular
network and a default route to the gateway on that network and
all of that works fine.

        I needed the system to communicate fully on two
different networks so we enabled the second interface card and
it works on that second subnet. You can connect to hosts there
and hosts on that network see the new interface. The problem is
that  it doesn't know anything about the router on that second
network.

        I don't want it to loose the default router but it needs
to be fully connected from the second interface as it is a name
server and it is about to move from one network to the other.

        I enabled the second interface as follows:

ifconfig fxp1 inet 192.168.1.13  netmask 255.255.255.0

        Is the route add command what I need to cause that
interface to speak to the router and to hear packets addressed
to it from that router?

        The routing issue seems to be the only connectivity
problem that the second interface has.

        Thank you.