On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:14:55 -0400
Robert Simmons <rsimmo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, June 23, 2011 08:10:29 PM Randy Pratt wrote:
> > I don't think making a list writable only to subscribers solves
> > anything since it seems the spammers are already subscribed.  This only
> > makes it difficult for others like myself who read the lists online and
> > only post occasionally.
>
> Making it writable to subscribers only in-and-of-itself does not solve the
> problem, but it is one of two things together that will fix the repeated
> spammer problem. The second is removing and banning offenders. Without making
> the list subscriber only there is no way to get rid of spammers.
> Additionally,
> for your situation, you can filter everything from the list to /dev/null.

I've been reading these lists for over 13 years, seen this discussion
many times, and the list remained open.  There were reasons for that
which are in the archives if you're interested.

I'm no longer an active committer so whatever @core decides is fine
with me.  I, however, would prefer to see it remain open.

I'm done with this potentially endless discussion.

Randy