On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Dick Hoogendijk <d...@nagual.nl> wrote:

> **
> Op 23-6-2011 9:35 schreef Valentin Bud:
>
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Dick Hoogendijk <d...@nagual.nl> wrote:
>
>> OK, it works very well. Installing a ZFS FreeBSD system with an ufs /boot
>> is very very easy using the PC-BSD DVD.
>> However, I have one question:
>>
>> I'd like to install FreeBSD (pcbsd) on a (zfs) mirror
>> In OpenSolaris you can install directly to the zfs mirror, but how's this
>> in this situation> After all, an UFS partitin is also created. How can I get
>> the equivalent of an OpenSolaris mirrored install for a FreeBSD system?
>>
>> Hope I phrased the question clearly enough.
>>

> Hello Community,
>
>   Like others said in their answer to your question, you don't have to put
> /boot on UFS, just go with root on ZFS.
> If you would like speed when installing the system I recommend mfsBSD -
> http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/. As pointed out
> in the web page there is a script (zfsinstall) that does all the work for
> you. It does all the steps described in the
> wiki - http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror.
>
>   If you want to gain knowledge about the process of installing FreeBSD
> with root on ZFS then go with the wiki
> article. Using mfsBSD I install a 8.2-STABLE custom system in under 5
> seconds. That's pretty neat :).
>
> OK, I tried mfsbsd. I had the iso loaded at ata1 master and freebsd-8.2-dvd
> as ata1 slave.
> I booted my VM; mfsbsd came up fine. I mounted my fbsd dvd drive on /cdrom
> and tried to run the zfsinstall script. Alas, it refuses.. It can't find the
> (needed!) 8.2-RELEASE.???tgz file It does not exist. There is only a
> directory 8.2-RELEASE (on DVD as well as on CDROM ). Question: is this a bug
> in zfsinstall script?
> How do I work around it?

Hello Community,

 You don't need any other CD/DVD to install from. The 8.2-RELEASE.tar.gz
file is on the mfsBSD iso. You have to mount it to /cdrom and you can use
zfsinstall script that comes with mfsBSD to do a root on ZFS install of
FreeBSD.

 I outline the steps:
0. Download http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/iso/mfsbsd-se-8.2-amd64.iso.
1. Boot mfsBSD. No other disk needed to install FreeBSD on root.
2. # mount /dev/acd0 /cdrom (change acd0 with your local CD/DVD drive).
3. # *zfsinstall -d ad0 -t /cdrom/8.2-RELEASE-amd64.tar.xz* -s 4G - change
the drive and swap partition size according to your
needs.

You might wanna check the options of zfsinstall  script, it has quite some
nice ones, see -h flag of the command.

Have a great day,
network warrior