On Sun, 26 Jun 2011, Kurt Buff wrote:

Sitrep: Lenovo T61, dual booting WinXP and FreeBSD (amd64 8.1-RELEASE)
on a 500gb drive. Just did a freebsd-update from 8.1 to 8.2, just
doing the second boot to do 'freebsd-update install' for the second
time, and got dumped into the mountroot prompt.

AFAICT, I managed somehow to write something strange into /etc/fstab.
Can't tell what it is, because during boot it passes by too quickly
for me to read, and the boot process dumps me into the mountroot
prompt.

Scroll Lock and Page Up/Down should work there to scroll back to see the disk device numbers.

WinXP still boots just fine, and the FreeBSD boot manager is in place,
and was working before the update.

FreeBSD was booting just fine from /dev/ad0s2a, prior to running freebsd-update.

Don't know what would cause that. Custom kernels could have the ATA_STATIC_ID option removed, which might give the disk a different number, ad2 or ad4 usually.

The BIOS could have AHCI mode set, but that should not change with 8.2. That would make the disk ada0.

I second the suggestion of mfsBSD.