On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Damien Fleuriot wrote:

On 6/27/11 4:52 AM, Dennis Glatting wrote:

I have a requirement where I need to archive ports used across twenty
hosts for a year or more. I've decided to do this using Squid and to
take advantage of Squid's cache when updating common ports across those
hosts.

(BTW, at another site I used rsync to sync /usr/ports/distfiles across
the hosts to a local master site then specified _MASTER_SITES_DEFAULT in
make.conf to a FTP server on the local site. That method works when the
port is previously cached however if the file isn't in the cache and I
simultaneously install the port across ten hosts, the port is fetched
ten times. Sigh.)

I have a Squid proxy installed that isn't meant for every-day/every-user
use and requires authentication. (Users either go through another Squid
proxy or direct.) The special Squid proxy works. No surprise there.
Authentication works. No surprise there.

What I need is a method to embed into make.conf a proxy specification
for fetch. Setting the environment variable HTTP_PROXY from the login
shell /is not/ preferred because the account is used by different
administrators, I don't what the special proxy accidentally polluted
with non-port stuff, and it would only create confusion.

Setting http_proxy in make.conf does not work. .netrc doesn't appear to
be a viable method (if it did, I could specify FETCH_ARGS in make.conf).

What about using a NFS share for /usr/ports/distfiles ?

Many of these servers provide network/system services across a WAN. If a link goes down or is congested, NFS may hang them all. NFS also provides certain security challenges.