On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

I'm trying to troubleshoot tftpd(8).

% grep boot /etc/inetd.conf
tftp   dgram udp  wait root /usr/libexec/tftpd  tftpd -dd -l -s /tftpboot
tftp   dgram udp  wait root /usr/libexec/tftpd  tftpd -dd -l -s /tftpboot
bootps dgram udp  wait root /usr/libexec/bootpd bootpd -d4 -t0 /etc/bootptab
%

I'm trying to boot another node via bootp/tftp.

I'm monitoring what's going on with tcpdump -vv.

bootpd starts fine, and seems to read /etc/bootptab
correctly.

But after that nothing happens, and after a few minutes
I get on the console of the host which I want to boot:

bootp()/bsd.rd.IP32
Unable to execute bootp()/bsd.rd.IP32:  invalid argument

How big is bsd.rd.IP32?  Does the BUGS section of tftpd(8) apply?

If so, try ftp/tftp-hpa.  It's faster, too, AFAIR.