On Jul 8, 2011, at 3:01 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

On 08/07/2011 08:25, Doug Hardie wrote:
On 7 July 2011, at 22:58, Gary Kline wrote:

Jul 7 10:16:33 ethic named[54366]: none:0: open: /etc/ named.conf: file not found Jul 7 10:17:56 ethic named[54371]: starting BIND 9.3.6-P1 -c / var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf

The first one that fails is looking for /etc/named.conf.  The second
one shows its in /var/named/etc/named/named.conf

Those are different locations.  I suspect you have named_flags setup
in rc.conf pointing to /etc/namedb/named.conf rather than the right
location.  Its also possible that its not set in rc.conf but defaults
in either the rc script or /etc/rc.d/named.  On my system it appears
to default in /etc/rc.d/named.

FreeBSD defaults to running named chrooted.  /etc/namedb is actually a
symbolic link:

% ls -la /etc/namedb
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  21 Jul  6 06:24 /etc/namedb@ ->
/var/named/etc/namedb

so the files referenced are in fact exactly the same file.

Actually

/etc/named.conf

is NOT the same as

/etc/namedb/named.conf ergo it is not the same as /var/named/etc/ namedb/named.conf

Gary, add

named_flags="-c /etc/namedb/named.conf"

to /etc/rc.conf. Or change /etc/namedb/named.conf to the /var version if you like/there is no symlink.

Dan

  However, the
flags from the log extract don't look like the defaults to me.  (I'm
running the dns/bind98 port, and the equivalent info from the log line
is '-t /var/named -u bind')

Gary, what named related settings do you have in /etc/rc.conf?  You
almost certainly don't need anything more than:

named_enable="YES"

and perhaps

syslogd_flags="-ss -l /var/named/var/run/log"

so named can log to the system syslog.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                  Flat 3