Hello everybody,

I've tried to setup a kind of 'dedicated ssh client' using FreeBSD, and I'm having some issues with the terminal colors.

I have a basic install of FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE (I only had kernel-dev packages checked at installation) and I rebuilt the GENERIC kernel with the VESA and SC_PIXEL_MODE options enabled (for a high resolution terminal).

Now here's the problem: when I ssh into another box and issue a command with colors (like vim's syntax hilighting or a colored ls) the primary color of the terminal will change. I'm often left with a crazy colored and hard to read bash prompt (all in the ssh session). When I exit the session back to FreeBSD, the colors persist. I have to use the command 'reset' to fix the issue.

I believe my primary FreeBSD shell is csh (it's whatever the default is in FreeBSD) and I'm not sure if it can handle colors or if it has them enabled. I generally ssh into a bash shell.

I'm really a newcomer with FreeBSD, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

David Krauser
david.krau...@gmail.com