On 19/07/2011 01:21, Gary Gatten wrote:
<snip>

This may get me flamed (probably will) but I'm wondering what the relationship is between
FreeBSD and PC-BSD?  PERHAPS if they were to somehow join forces, share development load,
etc. and "unify" the FreeBSD offerings under one roof; ie: PC-BSD and
SERVER-BSD.
Basically, PC-BSD is just a layer of candy over an almost untouched FreeBSD, so it is not the same at all than what you can see with Linux distros. PC-BSD offers a graphical and simple installer, and an arguably easier package system.
Also it installs KDE and automatically makes a few decisions.
You can actually just use the graphical installer in order to install a standard FreeBSD, even if some tricky options won't be available from the installer (but you can still run sysinstall later to activate them)

I personnally use it as an easy installer for Crypto-ZFS servers.

I believe several flavors of Linux have successfully done this.  Perhaps for
licensing reasons more than technical, but nonetheless there were two offerings
each focused on either a desktop or server deployment strategy.

Just a thought.  I'm not married to any particular OS - it's a tool and I use
what suites my needs best.  I enjoy FreeBSD and like what it stands for - I
would like to see it grow; both technically and in popularity.

Well the PC-BSD layer gives a great installer, now the only thing needed would be a great server/daemons management layer. But that is very tough to create. Some dedicated distributions exists that do have this layer, such as FreeNAS or PFSense. But I am not a big fan of either. The thing is, once you get the hang of FreeBSD, you end up missing the additional options and tweaks that an automated GUI will necessarily hide.

A FreeBSD distro with LDAP, ACL and MAC management would be nice though.

Now, if only FreeBSD could find a mascot that didn't offend me so much...

PS: yes, I'm being sarcastic about being offended; referring to threads that pop up on
occasion re "Beastie"

1.0pt 0in'>
"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
  and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
  any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
  and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
  received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
  return email and delete this email from your system."