On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 09:48:46AM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Sunday, July 24, 2011 a las 06:41:57AM -0700, per...@pluto.rain.com
> escribió:
> > Chad Perrin <per...@apotheon.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > If Android actually exposed more of the Linux underpinnings
> > > it might be somewhat useful to me ...
> >
> > There _is_ a development kit.  I have no idea what-all is involved
> > in setting it up, but if someone were sufficiently motivated it
> > would presumably be possible to develop an app to provide access
> > to bash (and thence any other desired command-line tools).
>
> Why do you want to use the closed Android if there is an OpenSource,
> Linux based cellphone, having shell, X11, GPS, GPRS, Wifi, USB ethernet,
> x11vnc, ... etc.
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page
> http://www.unixarea.de/openmoko.txt

I considered that.  Unfortunately, it does not suffice.  The OpenMoko
project suffers some pretty significant hardware issues -- such as, in
some cases, lack of necessary hardware to achieve anything close to
functionality parity with common Android devices.  It does not even
provide G3 access, which is a minimal piece of functionality for a
smartphone to be worth having, according to my preferences at least.

I wish circumstances were different.  I would much prefer something like
OpenMoko if it provided what I needed.  I would even accept a slightly
slower processor, no accelerometer, no GPS, and several other
shortcomings compared to the hardware in my current Android smartphone,
but the lack of G3 support -- especially in combination to some hardware
quality issues that have come up for several people I know who have
OpenMoko devices mouldering in drawers right now -- ensures it is not
worth my while to spend real money on one.