On 07/25/11 12:01, Jerome Herman wrote:

Ok I must have been way more tired than I thought when I answered...

:-)

A few things though,
WD Green have always been very problematic, in FreeBSD and elsewhere.

I acknowledge that.
However, I think I can live with some glitch, but what I'm experiencing seems to me far too much: such a drive might slow down, but this should not result in a kernel panic.

The problem you are encountering is not new, cf

I know: however I only found a lot of reports, with no solutions.

> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/ATA_issues_and_troubleshooting

I've only looked briefly into this, but I'll read it carefully.
Thanks.

Some people even think there is a cryptic bug somewhere in the ATA driver.

That's what I'm starting to think.
In case anyone is interested, now that I have a test box up and running, I'm willing to try anything fancy.

I now avoid WD caviar green completely.

That's what I'll do in the future.
However, I've seen posts reporting this kind of troubles with other brands too.

As for SMART test,
I would not believe them, SATA drives tends to silently remap bad
blocks, leaving SMART counters untouched.

I know; I'll run WD's diag tools from time to time.

A long time ago Scott Long offered to help track this problem, you might
want to contact him and see whether he found something.

I'm CCing him.

 bye & Thanks
        av.

P.S. I tried updating from 7.3 to 8.2 and see if anything changed, but I still get the same problems.