On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 12:17:13PM -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Jerry <je...@seibercom.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:47:54 -0400
> > Alejandro Imass articulated:
> >
> > All he did was ask for some assistance; not for someone to do the actual
> > assignment. Perhaps he could have worded it different; however, anyone
> > with an IQ over 2 would have been aware of what his intent was.
>
> Exactly my point, thanks:
>
> With my humble IQ of 2, his e-mail reads "Please do my homework for me".

I'm actually not entirely certain what the querent's intent was at this
point, but I think that providing the URI for a helpful guide to asking
questions effectively is actually very pertinent and useful to the
recipient, if that person has any interest in learning.  If not, well, no
harm done.

> > Personally, if I was his instructor, I would give him high marks on
> > initiative for going straight to the source and seeking answers. I am
>
> It's a good thing you are not! IMHO awarding laziness is not a good thing.

Laziness is its own reward, when it is properly applied.  For instance,
writing code to accomplish a task many times in the future so you do not
have to go through the motions all those many times yourself is an
exercise of laziness that turns out to be both very productive and very
rewarding.  That is why laziness is one of the three virtues of a
programmer, along with impatience and hubris.

Of course abused laziness -- basically pushing off work on others or
doing a crappy job for lack of interest in putting in the time and effort
to do it right -- is "bad" laziness, and not the kind of "good" laziness
I just described.