On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Christian Barthel wrote:

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 04:27:29PM -0000, b...@taiotoshi.org wrote:
Folks:

I have a Dell XPS Studio laptop with a broadcom wifi adapter built in.
I've had no luck trying to compile in the BWI option into the kernel to
get it to work and think that buying a cheap usb WIFI adapter is the
quickest way to make wireless 802.11 b/g work.

Realizing that some chip sets are better supported than others, I was
hoping some list subscribers might be able to identify currently offered
USB WIFI adapters that they know to work.  I will then purchase one that
has a good track record.

Any suggestions/comments on adapters that work would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a list with different chips...

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/hardware.html#WLAN

"The rum(4)  driver supports USB 2.0 wireless adapters based ..."

I don't know any Dell devices, but maybe it's possible to replace the
builtin chip with another wireless lan chip.

Usually yes, with some details. Any recent machine will use mini-PCIe wireless cards. There are full-size 30x51mm and half-size 30x27mm spaces.

IBM/Lenovo and HP have BIOS code that only allows certain cards, generally ones they sell.

Atheros AR5BXB63 b/g full-size cards have worked well for me in place of Broadcom cards.