On Aug 28, 2011, at 12:38 PM, Bill Tillman wrote:

> I did this to have the experience with it and to have a backup to my Netgear
> wireless router. The trouble was the Netgear wireless AP device works so well
> and is plenty fast, unlike what I was getting with my FreeBSD server. The
> Netgear device has been working 24/7 for almost 2 years now so I just gave up
> on the  FreeBSD option.

I think you sold me on the futility of this exercise. My Linksys has been in
service longer than that, 5 years at least.

Maybe one of the micro-flavors of FreeBSD or NetBSD might be better suited to
this, on a low-powered disused hardware platform. It doesn't seem reliable
enough to spend any more time on. If I could make it work, I could like to
compare what it took to the various approaches I have read (including in the
Handbook which is usually very dependable: I used it earlier today to refresh
my memory on adding a swapfile).

I'm calling it closed for now. Better use of my time to just find a backup AP.
--
Paul Beard

Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?