On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 01:09:33PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 03:43:12 -0400, Allen wrote:
> >
> > If the people who work on Gnome are going to go Linux only, than, f
> > them.
>
> Gnome, and maybe also Xfce (for using the same Gtk infrastructures)
> will _maybe_ turn into a Linux-centered project, and maybe eventually
> become an own distribution.

It's kinda the other way around.  The XFCE developers have already
started developing specifically for Linux.  Their concession to the fact
that there are other OSes where people like to use XFCE than just Linux
distributions is that the parts of XFCE that only work on Linux-based
systems can be left out.  If you want those parts, too bad.

Last I checked, a few weeks ago, the status of GNOME was that some
influential GNOME developers were advocating for doing Linux-only
development -- but no decisions along those lines had yet been made.  If
that has changed, I haven't heard about it yet.

> That is nothing bad per se, it just means that using future Gnome on
> FreeBSD will be problematic, or maybe even impossible. On theo other
> hand, concentrating on _one_ OS platform might give Gnome the boost
> that it needs for developing better speed, better integration and
> better functionality, but only if the Linux OS environment allows it
> to.

It seems short-sighted and counterproductive, to me, to say nothing of
being a poor choice for development practices in general.  There are
other things about GNOME that should be fixed long before they take the
drastic step of trying to make up for those problems (rather than fixing
them) by throwing away stuff that works.

It strikes me as a case of poor decision making similar, in principle, to
premature optimization.