At 08:21 09/09/2011, Victor Sudakov wrote:
Colleagues,

I need a solution to read sound from a soundcard (/dev/dsp) and
multicast it into the network, for the multicast audio stream to be
played on FreeBSD, Linux and Windows workstations. No sophisticated
codecs needed, plain PCM would do.

Can you advise something? I know that in theory there are many ways to
implement this, but I am especially interested in personal first-hand
experience, success stories or good white papers. Please no
lmgtfu-type replies. Thanks very much in advance.

You can use videolan / vlc. It allows you to multicast video too. In September 2011 BSD Magazine you have some examples about that.

HTH