On 6/10/2011 6:24 μμ, n dhert wrote:
Hi,
In your labserver, do you have a graphical login window at your labserver or
not ?
I don't want a graphical login, since I can't get anymore to the login
prompt via Ctrl Alt F1

No graphical login. My lab server stops at the console login prompt.

In KDM, the config directory is /usr/local/share/config/kdm  for kdm window
manager, there is no
Xservers file, and I can't see any file .. there are Xaccess, Xwilling,
Xstartup, Xreset, Xsession files
and a large kdmrc file. There are no man pages for kdm, kdm-bin, Xaccess,
etc...

I tried setting ServerCmd=""  instead of ServerCmd=/usr/local/bin/X -br  in
the  kdmrc file ...
Now I only have /usr/local/bin/kdm-bin running, not /usr/local/bin/X

Don't really know how KDM handles this. You could however - as a last resort - disable KDM and use xdm as your login manager. It is a bit "rough" (see login screens here http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonic2000gr/5033230929/in/set-72157625053818002) but it can start up any GUI using a simple .xsession file (xdm is not installed along with X but it is a very small port, x11/xdm).

Am I right to believe the primary role of a local X server (local= on
labserver) is to have a graphical environment on that labserver machine ?

Yes, absolutely. There is no need to run a GUI on the lab server. It's a waste of CPU cycles and memory.