On 06/10/2011 16:55, Grant Peel wrote:
Hi all,
Short of upgrading the OS, what is the safest way to upgrade a FreeBSD server
to PHP 5.3.x from 5.2.11 ?
I am assuming downloading the ports tarball and rebuilding and reinstalling
will do it?
Any advice, samples would be appreciated,
-Grant

It's not too traumatic an upgrade, and initially is as simple as you suggest, remember to uninstall extenstions via the meta port lang/php52-extensions (and reinstall desired extensions via lang/php5-extensions)

further suggestions, *
*copy the config make options from phpinfo() on 5.2 as it'll help you remember what you need for 5.3.
keep a copy of you php.ini obv also.
check http://uk3.php.net/migration53

you'll likely know but 5.3 is quite different from 5.2 so there's a few gotchas, such as changes to log levels, no more register globals, you must explicitly use $_POST or $_GET
no more register_long_arrays, you cannot use $HTTP_POST_VARS
short tags are probably off  round about that version,

if i recall, there was some changes to a lot of my $_SESSION code so check any code that uses that, (but this could well have been my implementations.)

good luck
Paul.