On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

d...@safeport.com writes:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

d...@safeport.com writes:

I have a system with two physical disks with a version of FreeBSD
installed on each disk. With various 7.x systems I had:

  F1 disk1 on slices ads5x
  F5 disk2 on slices ads6x

I installed 8.2 on disk2, incorrectly saying leave the mbr alone. So
when I boot from the second disk I get

  F6 PXE
  Boot:  F1

I can then hit F1 or wait and all goes okay. I tried using sysinstall
to rewrite the FBSD boot manager but that not effect any change. Must
I rewrite the mbr on disk 1 also?

That's what I would expect to have to do...

Pre 8.2 the behavior the selected system just boot without the extra
message. I had a 7.0 and a 7.4 system installed. I replaced the 7.4
system with 8,2 With the boot setup I understand the FreeBSD boot
manager would be on sector 0 track 0 of disk 1. The boot record for
disk 1 is in the first logical sector for the drive. The boot record
for disk 2 should be similarly placed on disk 2.

What I think is missing is putting the boot manager on disk 2. If that
is the case, is there a way to do that without reinstalling?

boot0cfg(8) from the system that does boot.
Or boot in "rescue" mode from a CD (or other removable media)
and use sysinstall.

thanks

_____
Douglas Denault