On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, Bill Tillman wrote:

I have two FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE servers running NFS. I have tons of files on
Server A that I want to backup to a big drive on Sever B. Server B nfs_mounts
one of the filesystems on Server A to /mnt. So if I wanted to make a backup of
the filesytem on Server A to Server B I tried:

dump -d /home/my_home/backups/20111024 /mnt

but each time I try this it tells me that filesystem /mnt is unknown. /mnt is
not in /etc/fstab. I manually mounted this via NFS and that's where all the
files I want to backup are accessible to the command line on Server B. What am
I missing?

dump(8) works on entire filesystems. To copy directories, consider rsync. To copy directories but put them into archives, there's tar and numerous others.