On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:32:16 +0000 (GMT), Thomas Mueller wrote:
> What software, base or ports, is used to burn a CD or DVD on
> a SATA drive, /dev/cd0 ?
>
> Would burncd be appropriate, or do I need cdrtools?  Or cdrkit?
>
> This is on FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 amd64.

I can imagine that in 9.0 where acd is obsoleted by cd,
burncd will either be rewritten, or be useless. In that
case, using tools that work with "old-fashioned" and
"now modern" cd should work fine.

> I built and installed sysutils/cdrtools when there was a
> thread on burncd and SATA, but cdrecord can't see anything
> (running "cdrecord -scanbus"):
>

> cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl failed. Cannot
> open or use SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.00 (amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2010 Jörg Schilling
>

> Running "cdrecord dev=help" or "cdrecord dev=HELP:" did no better.

Do you have permissions set properly? Maybe it still
tries to access per ATAPICAM, which may be non-working
just like acd - just a wild guess, I'm not using 9-RC
here so I can't be more specific.

> I had a similar problem on the older computer (i386 with ATA,
> not SATA) in NetBSD, but cdrecord ran well in Linux.  CD-RW
> drive there is ATAPI.

I've been using cdrecord and cdrdao now since burncd
stopped working for me somewhere in v5. For DVDs,
growisofs should work.

While cdrecord and cdrdao address th "SCSI device"
by n:n:n, growisofs uses /dev/cdN.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany