Am 09.11.2011, 01:42 Uhr, schrieb Conrad J. Sabatier <conr...@cox.net>:

Pardon me if this may seem like a stupid question, but this is
something that's been bugging me for a long time, and none of my
research has turned up anything useful yet.

I've been trying to understand what the deal is with regards to the
displaying of the "extended" 8-bit character set, i.e., 8-bit characters
with the MSB set.

More specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to get the "ls" command
to properly display filenames containing characters in this extended
set.  I have some MP3 files, for instance, whose names contain certain
European characters, such as the lowercase "u" with umlaut (code 0xfc
in the Latin set, according to gucharmap), that I just can't get ls to
display properly.  These characters seem to be considered by ls as
"unprintable", and the best I've been able to produce in the ls
output is backslash interpretations of the characters using either the
-B or -b options, otherwise the default "?" is displayed in their place.

Unsure if I understand you correctly.
("extended" 8-bit character set with MSB? utf-16?)
I'm confused by this charset stuff in general.

Assuming you want \0xfc displayed as "ü",

cat test.py && python test.py && ls -l

#!/usr/local/bin/python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

f=open('\xfc','w')
f.close()
total 2

-rw-r--r--  1 michael  wheel  29  9 Nov 02:43 test.py
-rw-r--r--  1 michael  wheel   0  9 Nov 02:44 ü

here is what works for me:

in my login class in /etc/login.conf:

        :charset=ISO-8859-1:\
        :lang=de_DE.ISO8859-1:\

``cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf'' after changes

in /etc/rc.conf:

        scrnmap="iso-8859-1_to_cp437"
        font8x8="cp850-8x8"
        font8x14="cp850-8x14"
        font8x16="cp850-8x16"

and in /etc/ttys, console type is set to ``cons25l1''

Regards,

Michael