Hi--

On Nov 9, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Michael Cardell Widerkrantz wrote:
>> And should HAL have discovered my swedish keyboard automatically in
>> the first place, so there was something going wrong there?
>
> How would HAL know that the keyboard had a Swedish layout? No such
> information is sent through USB or PS/2 when you attach a keyboard.

True for PS/2, but not true for USB-- the USB Vendor & Product ID can identify
different keyboard types and let you infer the country.  For example, see:

  http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

At the moment, I happen to be using a:

Apple Pro Keyboard:
  Product ID: 0x020b
  Vendor ID: 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.)
  Version:  4.20
  Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Mitsumi Electric
  Location ID: 0x3d111300 / 6
  Current Available (mA): 250
  Current Required (mA): 50

...and this database would correctly let the system know that I'm using US
layout:

  020b  Pro Keyboard [Mitsumi, A1048/US layout]

If you figure out that a Logitech Tangentbord K120 (or an Apple MC184S) is
connected, then you've got a Swiss keyboard, and so forth.

Regards,
--
-Chuck