On 10/12/2011 11:41 μμ, Da Rock wrote:
On 12/11/11 02:09, Manolis Kiagias wrote:
On 10/12/2011 5:19 μμ, Warren Block wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011, R Skinner wrote:

So I went to the handbook. I'm still a little confused though: can one still setup the usr and var (and so forth)? It said you possibly could, but it escaped me as to how.

Use the bsdinstall partition editor to manually create the partitions. I documented how to create an old-fashioned MBR layout with bsdinstall on the forums a while back:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=149210&postcount=13

The process would be similar for GPT, which is really the way to go now.

As Warren says, you can still create /usr and /var and all the other "legacy" partitions if you so wish - and you may even use the full journaling (gjournal) on them. But the default for bsdinstall is to use gpart, install everything on a big / and create UFS2 partitions with the new soft-updates journaling system (on by default). Compared to gjournal, soft-updates journaling only journals metadata and not everything like gjournal does. This will definitely make it faster although probably less "safe" than gjournal. It should be good for most purposes though and needs no additional steps after install (unlike gjournal). Since it's the default, the decision to go for one big / seems ok after all. I believe this is more or less what Linux is doing with Ext3/Ext4 filesystems (metadata journaling).
GPT is cool - no problems there. The main thing I want to know is if I need to run fsck every time the system dies unexpectedly (which is a higher occurrence on a laptop)? GJournal helps in that it takes care of that. The growing size of drives is another concern given the time it takes to check a 500G disk (my smallest atm), although this is way down on the list for the moment.

It does the fsck automatically and it seems to be fast. As with other metadata journaled filesystems you will probably have to do a full check occasionally. Can't you give you any times atm, I need to dump /repartition/restore some of my systems to use su+j. Only tested on virtual machines.

As for one big / partition- linux may be using it: and its their biggest failing! I've had a system lockup due to lack of space. Never a problem with bsd as logs will only fill up var, a user won't break it with filling up usr, etc. And root always stays protected! Its saved my life a number of times... I can quickly fill TB's of data in no time, and if something goes bang the logs can be a silent killer too. My 2c's anyway...

I am used to the separate partitions too, although I realize a single big / would be suitable for more than a few systems. It's nice we have a choice here.